Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Creating Accounts

Lot of hype about OpenID and it's use in simplifying accounts. I greatly appreciate that. Number of web services are increasing in number everyday and I am hardly able to catch up with their use. With each service comes another account which we need to remember. OpenID comes to rescue. Even Drupal provides a sharable accounts.

Even if we leave that apart, the login creation is a big hurdle to using a service. For many it is a traumatic experience. Sites which you never heard of will be asking all your personal information, just like credit card companies. Login creation must be simple and requiring minimum information. But many times, companies ask for all sorts of information for their profiling purpose, but in the process they scare away new users.

I recently created a wiki at Wik.is and I was pleasantly surprised by the ease of login creation. Just enter site-name, email and accept their ToS and you are done. Took maybe 15 sec! Can't become easier than that. I would highly recommend them. Besides the first step, their service looks good too! Talking of wikis, another good wiki service I would recommend is WikiDot. That reminds me. Where the hell did Jotspot go? After its acquisition, they never resurfaced.

No comments: